The Milton Cemetery was established in 1672, ten years after incorporation of the Town. It is overseen by a five member Board of elected Trustees who annually appoint a Superintendent to oversee the day to day operation. An historical ‘garden cemetery’, it is the burial place of over 30,000 Miltonians or descendants of Milton residents. The Cemetery was accepted on the National Register of Historic Places in June of 2004. Today the cemetery has graves for sale to Milton residents only. The present sale areas are the Garden of Hope, the Garden of Honor and the Copeland garden.